Real Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb package short pasta (penne, elbow macaroni, etc)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8-oz block sharp white cheddar cheese, grated and divided (about 2 cups)
- 8-oz block smoked Gouda or Gruyere cheese, grated and divided (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Whisking constantly, cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low and stir in salt, black pepper and most of the cheese, reserving about a cup of cheese. Pour the pasta in a lightly greased 8 x 11 x 2 baking dish. Spoon the cheese sauce over the pasta, stirring lightly to even out the sauce in the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cup of cheese. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly and bread crumbs are golden. Remove from oven, and prepare yourself for out-of-this world macaroni and cheese.