Summer (yes, you’re worth it) Risotto
- 2 C vegetable stock, made with half a stock cube
- 4 asparagus spears, trimmed and each spear sliced into 4
- 1 C snap peas in the pod
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ C risotto rice
- 3 tbsp white wine (keep the rest of the bottle chilling)
- Small handful of freshly grated parmesan
- Small handful of shaved parmesan
- Simmer the stock for 10 minutes.
- While the stock is simmering, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wide, shallow pan. Add the onion and fry gently for 5-6 minutes, stirring, until it is soft but not colored. Add the rice and continue to stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the grains become see-through at the edges and begin to make ‘clicking’ noises.
- Add the wine (it should bubble and evaporate), then 2fl oz of the stock. Stir well and simmer gently until all the liquid has been absorbed. Now pour in another 2fl oz stock and stir again. Continue adding the stock and stirring. After about 7 minutes, when half the stock has been added, swirl in the asparagus and peas. Carry on adding stock in small amounts until it has been absorbed; this will take about 10 more minutes. Now the risotto should be a little wet and sloppy and the rice tender with a nutty bite.
- Turn off the heat, and then gently stir in the grated Parmesan, taste and season. You may need only a little black pepper, as the Parmesan and stock are both salty. Spoon the risotto on to a plate, top with the rocket, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and scatter with Parmesan shavings. Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy your meal.